Literature to Life In-School Residencies
THEATRE: FOR AUDIENCES
Literature to Life Theatre is a verbatim theatrical adaptation of significant American literature brought to life by a professional actor. It takes place HERE or THERE, at our Black Box Theatre or in your presenting house, auditorium or classroom. Ages 7 to Adult.
A Theatre Experience includes the following:
- 15-minute pre-show interactive discussion
- 1-hour stage presentation (Actual length may vary)
- 15-minute post-show interactive discussion
- Teacher's Resource Guide
LIVING LIBRARY: FOR CLASSROOMS
A Literature to Life Living Library is a 90-minute educational experience in the classroom. Drawing from classic American literature frequently taught in schools, these workshops take place for class size groups at our Black Box Theatre or in your classroom. Ages 11 to Adult.
A Living Library experience includes the following:
- 20 minutes of interactive verbatim presentations by a professional actor
- A unique character interview between the students and the central characters
- An interactive drama-activity specifically created for deeper understanding of the work and the author
RESIDENCY: FOR SCHOOLS
A Literature to Life Residency is a series of in-school workshops customized to meet the needs of your classroom. Led by Master Teaching Artist and professional Teaching Actors, sessions use high quality theatre, drama-in-education, and significant American literature to foster students' personal connections to cross-curricular, standards-based units of study.
Residencies are offered:
- For ages 7 and up
- In individual sessions or in a series up to a semester in length
- In English, Social Studies, and Theatre classrooms
- Anytime throughout the year
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT: FOR EDUCATORS
A Literature to Life Professional Development workshop provides interactive training through innovative drama-in-education strategies customized to fit the needs of your staff.
Customized PD workshop themes can include:
- Blueprint for Theatre Arts
- Team Building: Fostering Cooperation and Trust
- Theatre as a Cross Curricular Tool
- Exploration of Personal Practice and Pedagogy, featuring Teacher Man by Frank McCourt
TRAINING: FOR TEACHING ARTISTS
The Literature to Life Teaching Artist Training program prepares professionals with backgrounds in education and theatre to lead Residencies and Workshops based on an interactive literacy methodology. The program features training at the highest level in language arts skills, classroom management, role-playing and curriculum development. In addition to workshops offered in New York City, this program, with support of the Dana Foundation, has been made available to participants in Washington, D.C.
Teaching Artist Training:
- Up to 15 participants
- Includes training in content and practice
- Dates: Aug 24, 25, 26, 29, 30, 31 and Sep 1, 2
- Application Deadline: July 8. 2011